Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Superheroes and Godlike Perfection

I will be the first person to claim I am very imperfect.  I believe I am a generally good person, I might even believe myself greater than I really am, but by no means am I perfect, and would be a rather dangerous role model.  One of the biggest challenges I face is accepting my own limitations, while seeking to push those boundaries.

Ever since I was a little kid, I have always fantasized about being a super hero.  He even has a name, and a costume.  Every night as I go to bed trying to sleep, that is what I am thinking about.  I love my and kids, but quite frankly, thinking about them keeps me awake.  As I fall asleep, I pretend to be him, saving not just the world, but the universe!  I generally fall asleep pretty fast, so I think the technique works.  When I don't do this, I am awake for hours!

Well, that fantasy doesn't help me at all to accept my mere mortal qualities.  In fact it is a hindrance, because now I have to come to grips with not have having awesome super powers.

But on a more practical note, this also means having to identify weaknesses, and prioritizing them to make them strengths and better myself, while not overwhelming myself, losing steam and just giving up. 

Jesus command "Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is Heaven is perfect."
 
Let's be real for a moment here.  There is no way I will accomplish that before I die.  To be as Perfect as the Father is simply impossible to accomplish here in mortality.  To obtain a perfect knowledge, perfect love, justice, mercy, faith, will not happen.  To make it even more difficult, He possesses these qualities in Absolute Perfection, not just relatively. 

The great prophet Moroni wrote "Yea, come unto Christ, and be perfected in him, and deny yourselves of all ungodliness; and if ye shall deny yourselves of all ungodliness, and love God with all your might, mind and strength, then is his grace sufficient for your, that by his grace ye may be perfect in Christ...and again if ye by the grace of God are perfect in Christ..., then ye are sanctified in Chirst by the grace of good, through the shedding of the blood of Christ..., that ye become holy, without spot."

So, if I do my absolute best to love God, and deny myself of all ungodliness then I am perfect in Christ.  Being perfect in Christ means, according to Moroni, that his Grace will make up the difference between me and Absolute Perfection (the difference I am sure cannot even be measured by any number comprehensible to man).  That is now at least a manageable goal.

There is absolute wisdom in the following words : "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can;and wisdom to know the difference."

To those that feel overburdened I would ask that you simply do the best you can do, no matter how meager it may seem, and ask that God make the difference.  When I have done so, I accomplished so much more than I alone could.  While I cannot quantify His power in my life, I can testify of its reality and effect in my life.  Having seen miracles, and performed them, I cannot deny them, nor Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment