Sunday, March 27, 2011

Life Lesson

When I was in the 8th grade I selected to go to a seminar.  It wasn't until I attended the seminar that I found out it was about racism, and I was immediately disinterested.  But during this class, I learned a lesson that I did not fully appreciate until I was older.

The instructor handed each of around 10 pieces of paper of different colors. Each color was assigned a point value, and if the sum of the paper equaled a certain total or higher you were placed in an elite status, if the total was lower, you were placed in a lower class.  The point of the activity was to accumulate as many points as you could through trade with the other students. If you were in the elite class you could make the rules that dictated trade. 

I was not fortunate enough to be placed in the elite class at the beginning. So for a few rounds I tried to trade around and accumulate wealth, but with never any real purpose.  Finally enough of us "poor" people banded together and decided to give one of enough points to elevate them to rich class to help us out.  As luck would have it, they decided to make that person me.

What's the very first thing I do with my elevated status?  I propose a rule that when one of us richies wants to make a trade with a non-richie, they have to approve it, regardless of the imbalance.  Needless to say the activity ended pretty quickly after betraying what used to be my "equals"  I didn't care, I had tiltled the rules to my advantage and was having fun.

The discussion turned to why we wanted to further our advantage rather than help out those less fortunate than me.  But the lesson was lost on me until a few years ago.  Those that are in power have an obligation to use that power to help those under his stewardship, rather than seek to further that power.  As Jesus taught "whosoever will be chief among you, let him be your servant."  Leadership is an opportunity to serve, seen as anything else is an abuse of power. 

In a revelation to Joseph Smith, the Lord revealed "We have learned by sad experience that it is the nature and disposition of almost all men, as soon as they get a little authority, as they suppose, they will immediately begin to exercise unrighteous dominion...No power or influence can or ought to be maintained by virtue of the priesthood, only by persuasion, by long-sufferering, by gentleness and meekness, and by love unfeigned; by kindness, and pure knowledge which shall greatly enlarge the soul without hypocrisy, and without guile- Reproving betimes with sharpness, when moved upon by the Holy Ghost; and then showing afterward an increase of love toward him whom thou hast reproved; lest he esteem thee to be his enemy."

Real power comes from the ability to influence others, and not from titles.  My position in the military enables me to help Soldiers, both placed directly under me as well as those outside my NCO support channel.  The NCO creed also states that I am not to use position to attain pleasure, profit or safety, but rather should place the needs of my Soldiers above my own.  To use it for any other purpose is abuse, and should have my rank taken away.

No comments:

Post a Comment